- Basically an excuse to play with my food!
- Was born out of spontaneity and boredom on March 29, 2008
- Entertainment provided by my adventurous palate
- By “experiments”, I mean throw a bunch of random things together…
- Healthy, affordable, and exciting! 😀
- made from ground oat groats
- comes in many different varieties: oat groats [ungrounded], steel-cut, rolled, quick, and instant oats
- oat groats and steel-cut oats are less processed and more nutritious than rolled and instant oats. They also take much longer to cook. [longer cooking time = more nutritious]
- rolled oats and quick oats are pre-cooked and are often the type used in baking
- instant oats don’t require cooking [just soak with boiled water], but are the least nutritious
- daily consumption may lower cholestrol and reduce chances of heart disease
- contains more soluble fiber than a lot of other foods
- real raw oats contain lots of phytic acid, which may block your body from absorbing minerals, but you can prevent this by soaking the oats for a few hours or overnight to break down some of the acid.
university student, Homo sapien, Canadian, lazy, morning person, speed walker, hungry, awesome
favorite food: oatmeal, peanut butter, pumpkin, squash, yams, potatoes, sushi, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, peach, plum, banana, apples, grapes, granola, pecans, sunflower seeds, shreddies cereal, quaker’s oat squares, yogurt, cheesecake, cookies, chocolate, kidney beans, baba ganoush, hummus, eggplants, eggs, egg noodles, whole wheat pasta, couscous, meatballs, fried rice, stir fry, zucchini, tofu, coffee, pudding, taro, gingerbread cookies, oreo ice cream, digest crackers dipped in milk, sticky rice, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, corn, peas, beans, baked beans, shepherd’s pie, mushrooms, pound cake, muffins, cheese, green tea ice cream, apple pie, pumpkin pie, pie, rice, mac n’ cheese, asparagus, turkey, chicken, salmon, stuffing, tuna, dumplings, rice noodles, soba, pancakes, waffles, pop tarts, cinnamon, meat loaf, pearl barley, artichokes, pineapples, fruit&potato salad, soy milk, rice milk, chocolate milk, whole wheat bread, flax bread, scones, english muffins, crumpets, orzo, edamame, dragon fruit, bell peppers, nectarines, plums, sweet bean soup, kale chips, cottage cheese, soy nuts, peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pasta salad, tortellini, ravioli, pears, chow mein, chili, sweet bean soup, tapioca, mochi, glutinous rice balls, egg tarts, fruit tarts, sardines, banana chips, split pea soup, cream cheese, almond butter, soy nut butter